Michal Kwiatkowski came within metres of a possible stage win in a shortened finale at the Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana.
Stage five was significantly shortened due to high winds and the race altered to feature just five laps of the Valencia city finishing circuit.
With 22 kilometres to go Kwiatkowski jumped out of the pack and bridged across to former team-mate Iljo Keisse (Quick-Step Floors). The pair combined well and extended out their advantage, taking the bell lap with 20 seconds over the pack.
The technical circuit gave the duo a fighting chance with the peloton clearly under intense strain. However with just 300 metres to go the catch was made, setting up a bunch sprint which was won by Bryan Coquard (Direct Energie).
Back in the bunch Wout Poels finished safely to secure fourth overall, 52 seconds back on Nairo Quintana (Movistar) after the Colombian's emphatic win on Saturday's queen stage.
Stage five result:
1. Bryan Coquard (Direct Energie) 1:01:23
2. Nacer Bouhanni (Cofidis) s.t.
3. Coen Vermeltfoot (Roompot-Nederlandse Loterij)
4. Yves Lampaert (Quick-Step Floors)
5. Iljo Keisse (Quick-Step Floors)
1. Nairo Quintana (Movistar) 15:21:49
2. Ben Hermans (BMC Racing) +13"
3. Manuel Senni (BMC Racing) +32"
4. Wout Poels (Team Sky) +52"
5. Dan Martin (Quick-Step Floors) +1:09"