Elia Viviani capped off Dubai Tour with an impressive sprint to claim second place under the shadow of the Burj Khalifa.
The Italian was dropped into the mix by his Team Sky colleagues and surfed the wheels in the closing few kilometres. Coming from deep into the pack following the final right hander, Viviani clawed back significant ground to arrive on the wheel of Marcel Kittel.
It was the powerful German (Quick-Step Floors) who notched up a third stage victory and with it the overall title in Dubai.
Viviani was narrowly edged out into second, with compatriot Riccardo Minali (Astana) arriving fast to take third.
Precious bonus seconds on the line meant Viviani was elevated to fifth place overall, one of three riders all on the same time, 24 seconds back on the blue jersey.
After a rapid start it wasn't until the best part of 40 kilometres were complete before a breakaway finally stuck. Inevitably though the catch was made with 9km to go, and Christian Knees drove his way to the front with 5.5km remaining. With help from Jon Dibben Viviani did the rest, pulling out a strong sprint to end the race on a high.
Stage five results:
1. Marcel Kittel (Quick-Step Floors) 2:34:12
2. Elia Viviani (Team Sky) s.t.
3. Riccardo Minali (Astana)
4. Mark Cavendish (Dimension Data)
5. John Degenkolb (Trek-Segafredo)
1. Marcel Kittel (Quick-Step Floors) 15:08:56
2. Dylan Groenewegen (LottoNL-Jumbo) +18"
3. John Degenkolb (Trek-Segafredo) +20"
4. Jean-Pierre Drucker (BMC Racing) +24"
5. Elia Viviani (Team Sky) +24"