Geraint Thomas jumped up to seventh place overall at the Tour de France after collecting a time bonus on stage two, with Chris Froome crossing the line safely.
After the stage Thomas stressed the importance of getting through safely. He said: "That was the main thing, trying to stay out of trouble. It was even more nervous than yesterday and after what happened everyone was thinking about that. Everyone wanted to be even more far forward and it was pretty dodgy out there. Fortunately we rode well as a team and stayed out of trouble.
"With that bonus second we were there and nobody seemed to be going for it. So I said 'oh I'll have it then'. Gilbert went and nobody else seemed to follow. It didn't take any effort and you're not going to turn down a second."
1. Peter Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe) 4:06:37
2. Sonny Colbrelli (Bahrain Merida) s.t.
3. Arnaud Demare (Groupama-FDJ)
4. Andre Greipel (Lotto Soudal)
5. Alexander Kristoff (UAE-Emirates)
21. Michal Kwiatkowski (Team Sky)
23. Geraint Thomas (Team Sky)
31. Chris Froome (Team Sky)
1. Peter Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe) 8:29:53
2. Fernando Gaviria (Quick-Step Floors) +6"
3. Sonny Colbrelli (Bahrain Merida) +10"
4. Marcel Kittel (Katusha-Alpecin) +12"
5. Sylvain Chavanel (Direct Energie) +13"
7. Geraint Thomas (Team Sky) +15"
84. Chris Froome (Team Sky) +1:07"